Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Homemade Play Dough (play-doh)

I've been wanting to make one for our toddler for the longest time. I searched the net for the best recipe but most of them require cream of tartar, an ingredient that I don't normally have in my pantry. Then I came across a gluten free recipe on Messy Preschoolers that only has four ingredients, a simple instruction and numerous positive feed backs from those who have tried it already.

So this morning, my daughter and I raided our pantry to make play dough. The recipe requires a cup of cornstarch but to my dismay I only had half a cup so i tweaked it a little and added flour instead. I also can't find the bottle of red food color so we used a packet of Tang for the coloring.

Homemade Play Dough Recipe

2 cups baking soda
1/2 cornstarch
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup cups water
1 packet of Kool-Aid or Tang for color


Mix all the dry ingredients and get rid of lumps using a fork then set aside. Dissolve an entire packet of Tang in water and slowly pour to the dry ingredient.
Tang dissolved in water
Stir constantly over low heat until the mixture becomes really sticky, sticky enough to form a ball. Let it cool and let your toddler have a blast.

 
The consistency is like of a thick mashed potato after cooking.


The dough became flaky on some parts after it has cooled. I added a few drops of olive oil and gave it a lot of kneading to get the right texture.

Here's a photo of Luna having fun with her play dough



Difficulty Level: 1 ( I didn't encounter any problems except the cleaning up part.  The dough will stick everywhere.  Our living room was littered with specks of dried up dough for days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment